Q&A: Best Place to Sell Used Baby Items?

BC reader Nicole wants to find the best place to sell her gently-used baby items. She writes,

I’ve already tried a flea market with little success and a local consignment type shop that buys your stuff outright gave me so little money for so much stuff, I was really disappointed. I’ve thought about Craigslist and Ebay, but I’m not sure items will sell on Ebay due to the shipping costs. My items are all in great condition and are stain free. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Can you help?

Comments

1. Caitlin says:

Craigslist has been great for selling stuff! That way you don't have to worry about shipping. I second the mention about seasonal consignment sales, great way to make some extra money! Or a consignment shop that you'd want to shop in or one that doesn't pay up front, you usually get more money that way (either in cash or store credit).

2. Anonymous says:

I like Craigslist for all my larger non-clothes baby items. I can usually close on the sale really quickly and get 50% of retail price at least. Clothes and the like don't do well at all. I have sold special occasion stuff…but for the time/money value, you're better off taking the little bit they offer at consignment stores like Kid to Kid.

3. Anonymous says:

I guess CraigsList depends on where you live. We are in a big city and in a convenient location for pick up, so I am able to sell things for great prices. Because I am such a bargain shopper I actually often sell my daughters' used items for the same price (or sometimes even more) than I paid for the item new or when I purchased it on CraigsList. When I took clothes to the consignment store it took a lot of work to prepare the clothes, only be able to sell in season, and then to have to pick up while my two girls were on the loose in the store. In the end I'd make $30-50 each time. Selling their clothes on CraigsList I had all seasons available and people bought ahead out of season for their little ones. I had several $125 purchases shopping out of my girls' closets. I just put things in separate boxes by price ($1, $3, $5 and $10 items). Yes, people were thrilled to pay $10 for the two or three piece outfits, sweaters that still had tags on, etc.

4. Lauri says:

I find that the seasonal consignment sales are the way to go. You set your own prices, which is great, while giving a certain percentage of your sales to the folks that run the sale. They do all the advertising, etc. I generally make at least $100 each season selling my one toddler's gear, toys and clothing. It's also a great place to find bargains!

5. Anonymous says:

go to http://www.jbfsale.com and find your local Just Between Friends sale. Most are twice per year (Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter items). You set your own prices. You are mailed a check about 2 weeks after the sale.

6. Anonymous says:

Higher-end, name-brand items, in good condition, and especially in outfit-sets, sell really, really well on ebay. Try to take really good pictures – good lighting, good resolution, no clutter, etc. Take advantage of the USPS: they will provide (free) flat-rate boxes, which make it easy to set a consistent shipping fee, plus you can print labels from home and you can schedule a pick-up, so you don't even have to leave the house. They make it pretty easy.

Lower-brand or non-branded items, I've sold at Once Upon a Child. You won't make your money back, but you'll earn a little something.

7. Courtney says:

You can try diaper swappers (www.diaperswappers.com). It mostly for cloth diapers, but lots of people sell baby items and clothing too.

8. Rowanmayfairs says:

I participate in a 2x's a year kids consignment sale locally.

I sell my daughter's outgrown clothes,toys .

I earn 70% of what I price it for…I have to hang my own items, tag them and take them to the sale then pick them up after the sale.

Use to bring home $200-$300 a sale but this year it bombed and I only made $175.00 .

I live 1 hr ea. way from the city craigslist is based out of, so not many people want to drive OUT of the city to meet me somewhere. and I can't afford to drive 2hrs to meet someone. I would spend more in gas. My husband works 15 min's from the city so sometimes people will meet him.

Consignment store gives me 40% and 90% of the stuff I take in never sells,gets lost,stolen,donated.

Ebay fee's are pretty high nowdays and they encourage you to list at 99ยข and then it ends at that price so I spend more in fees then I really earned.

But all in all..my best solution is the 2x's a year kids consignment sale.. $175.00 is sure alot more than I will make on ebay or craigslist, or consignment store. This fall I will participate in 2 sales.. I can leave the leftovers from the 1st sale on hangers and retag for the next sale. Hopefully this will give me a greater chance for more money.

9. cheapskate says:

As someone who has bought all her baby stuff used, I can tell you that some things sell for more on ebay than they generally do on craigslist: bumbo seats, gdiaper covers, boppy pillows, baby backpacks, that kind of thing.
    Clothes definitely seem to sell for more on craigslist than they do on ebay. Many people sell things for $5 an outfit on CL. On the other hand, I've bought entire lots of clothing on CL too, so there's cheap stuff to be had – but people do try to sell for more.
    Mommies of Multiples is also a GREAT sale.
    I agree that you meet great people when you buy/sell on craigslist!

10. Sonja says:

Something worth trying is checking on facebook to see if there are any groups set up for selling used things. We have several buy/swap groups set up in my city.

11. D_Carlson says:

I've had great success at Just Between Friends, the seasonal consignment sale. I've made WAY more money selling things that way as opposed to selling them in our local consignment store. I can't rave about it enough!! The best part to me is that you get to set your prices as opposed to the local consignment stores where they just tell you what they're selling it for and how much you'll make.

12. methrifty says:

I am a fan of a website that just started called thredup kids. At thredup.com you can swap boxes of kids clothes. If you find a box that you like, all you pay is $13.00 to cover the shipping. They provide such an easy process from getting free boxes from the post office, listing your items to swap, through the shipping process if someone chooses your boxes. Although you aren't necessarily making money for your clothes, I have found that this is so simple and you essentially get clothes in exchange. You don't have to take any pictures and it is up to you to be as specific as you want in your descriptions. The entire process is free or you can pay for an upgraded membership for a minimal cost. This just started a few weeks ago and so far I have been so pleased. I received two boxes (the clothes were great) and sent one. It is definitely worth checking out. I, too, have been frustrated with ebay. The way that I have found that it works is to sell boys clothes and a few items at a time. Shipping doesn't cost as much then.

13. Laurie says:

I am also on the Craigslist bandwagon. I LOVE it! I've had great luck selling and buying. If you don't want people knowing your home address, offer to meet in a store parking lot. I've noticed adding a picture works really well too!

14. Amanda says:

I haven't tried it myself, but I just found out about a site called kizoodle.com. You can sell your stuff for points, and use the points to buy stuff from other people. You have to pay to ship your stuff, but you get points to cover what you spent.

15. Anonymous says:

see if there is a bookoo community near you http://www.bookoo.com thats where i buy and sell most of my items, good luck!!

16. Anonymous says:

I used to sell my kid's stuff at craigslist but recently I was being flagged on an ad for no reason.

17. Mommyof2girls says:

I consigned at the just between friends sale this season for the first time. I’m from Florida so I tried the Jupiter sale first, then went to the Coral Springs sale two weeks later. I have to say it’s VERY tedious and quite expensive, having to tag all of your items on card stock only, pin or tape the tags on every item, hang them on hangers in the right direction….SO many rules and regulations and supplies are costly!! I made $673 between two sales. Probably spent a good $150 to get everything tagged and hung, gas to drive, bins to hold clothes…not a bad return, but not great either. I was hoping to sell all my baby clothes. I came home with three bins left. ALSO….I had a great Fisher Price Laugh and Learn house marked for $45. Had all the accessories in a large ziplock bag, zipped, taped and packing taped like crazy to the house so the parts wouldn’t get separated. They did! The operators don’t watch your toys at all. They let the kids play with everything and don’t take care of anything for you so watch what you bring. It’s probably going to get destroyed or have missing pieces when you pick it up. They say they’ll take care of it but I’m not sure how. I wasn’t promised anything so we’ll see. I’ll let ya’ll know what happens and if they’re good on their word.

18. Michelle says:

http://TradingCradles.com IMO is the best place to sell your outgrown baby stuff. It’s totally free like CL but what makes them better is they have tons of ads, its much quicker to navigate, it’s solely focused on baby and toddler items and they hand approve all ads on the site.

19. Amy says:

I’m on the Just Between Friends (aka JBF Sale) bandwagon! Where else can you get 65-70% of your sales? You get to set your own price, then choose whether you want to come back for the unsold items or let them be donated to local charities. I choose the donation option…no more work for me, then I get to print out a report from JBF that shows the value of my donations and use that for tax purposes. Aside from cleaning and preparing my items so they’ll sell, JBF does all the rest of the work. Beats a garage sale any day!

20. Marcie says:

You can try local consignment shops