BRU Trade In Event: Swap Used Baby Gear for 25% Off Coupon

Through September 19, turn in old baby gear at Babies R Us (in-store) and get a coupon for 25% off a baby gear item from select brands (Babi Italia, Baby Cache, Baby Trend, Bergamo, Bertini, Britax, Carter’s, Chicco, Contours by Kolcraft, Cosco, Delta, Eddie Bauer, Evenflo, Graco, Jeep, Little Tikes, Safety 1st, Sorelle or Step2).

Trade in used cribs, car seats, bassinets, strollers, travel systems, playards, toddler beds or high chairs. You can “trade in” as many items as you like, but you must use the discount on the day of trade in. Find out more about the event here.

25% off is a good deal, but it’s certainly not unbeatable. Frankly, I’ve always found this event a little underwhelming. My advice? Think about the new item you might want and do a price comp online to find the best price. Write it down and check the price at BRU before you trade you item in to make sure you’ll be beating that price. Factor in sales tax, too. Most of us will save on sales tax by buying online from retailers without a local brick-and-mortar presence.

Comments

1. Jenny says:

The Frontier is $279.99 in store, with the discount and even with tax, I think you’d come out just about even versus buying online. But, you won’t have to wait for shipping. ;)

2. Nicole says:

Can you “trade in” an item (crib) and get the coupon, even if you don’t plan to use it? (basically, I don’t want to PAY to take my recalled crib to the dump. Is that wrong? :) I was planning on buying a new car seat with the savings, but the same car seat I was looking at at BRU is about 40% less with free site to store shipping at walmart.com. And since this is an in-store only event, I can’t get the deal any of their affordable cribs that are online only. As far as I can tell, they only carry the ones around the $200+ range in the store.

• Julie Tarlton says:

Sure. They basically just take your item, hand you a piece of paper that is your “coupon” and then you’re free to go/shop.

3. Amber says:

I put up an ad on Craigslist last year asking for (free) expired car seats. It got me 2 coupons, and two unsafe seats were properly disposed of!

4. Pily says:

Does anyone now how long is the coupon good for after you traded in your item??? Planing on doing some similar to Nicole :)

• kathleen says:

You must use the coupon on the day of the trade. I traded in an expired car seat/stroller combo, and purchased a graco duo glider now that I have a toddler and newborn. It came out to the same price as walmart.com even after the discount, but I was able to use the stroller the same day and not have to wait a week for shipping.

5. Ruth says:

I am curious why they didn’t include swings on the list.

6. Crystal says:

I believe the day you trade in is the day you must buy the new product. If I remember right they put dates on the coupons, thus if you come back the next day (they don’t have to honor it).

7. tel says:

So you can trade in a stroller and use the 25% off on anything? It doesn’t have to be a straight across trade (ie a crib for a crib)? But you can’t use it online, right?

• Crystal says:

Yes you can use it on any item the ad says and only for the brands it says. You can bring in a car seat and use the coupon for a stroller, etc. And nope the coupon is not good and will not work for online purchases.

8. siobhan says:

if anyone has an extra august coupon code for the amazon deal that they would like to trade for a september one let me know, i want to stack but i have 2 septembers and i cant stack them together.

9. Elizabeth K says:

We just sold our travelsystem on craigslist and am looking to buy a smaller stroller that still has a lot of room for storage. I am looking at the chicco cortina. At BRU this is 169.99 (on-line). 25% off would leave it @ 127 plus 8.245 taxes so it’s at around 137.00. The cheapest I’ve found this stroller is @ walmart.com for $152. So….if I decide on buying this particular stroller I think it would be a good deal considering I’m getting rid of a stroller for around the same amout of money I would sell it on craigslist w/o the extra “hassle” and I’m saving on a new stroller….we’ll see what I decide.

10. kaj says:

Won’t BRU price match and accept competitor coupons?