Toys That Get Played With 2010: 6 to 12 Months

Welcome to the 2010 updates of Baby Cheapskate’s “Toys That Get Played With” lists. The twelve toys on this list are here for one reason and one reason alone – because kids love them and continue to play with them long after the holiday decor is boxed up.

There’s no one toy that every kid likes, but the 12 toys on the list have proven track records. Hundreds of Baby Cheapskate readers have responded to more than half a dozen polls posted thrice yearly over the course of three years about which holiday toys their kids are still playing with. I’ve pored through the responses to compile this list. Each toy is linked to its listing on Amazon so that you can learn more about it.

Most Loved Toys for Babies 5 months to 12 months:

More Updated Toys that Get Played With lists to come this week:

• 13 to 24 months
  • 25 to 36 months
  • 3 to 4 years

You can find this and other holiday-themed lists under the Black Friday | Holidays tab at the top of BabyCheapskate’s home page.

Comments

1. Layla says:

Currently undecided on the FP House or one of the tables (FP or Leapfrog)…how to decide??? DD is 6 mos….also have a 4 yo son (not that it would be intended for him, but he seems to like to play with her stuff too)

• Audrey says:

My SIL bought my daughter the FP House for her 1 year birthday, and she is now 19 months and plays with it every single day…most of the day! Her cousin is 17 months and plays with it, and we have lots of friends in the 2-4 age group that play with it just like my 19 month old. I wouldn’t trade that house for much of anything! We did put it where it is between a bookcase and a buffet table so it makes a kind of fort for the girls. They LOVE it! I’d highly recommend it and also the playschool ball popper for the 9 mo to 3 yr age span. Every kid that comes here loves those two toys!

• Ebru says:

We have the house and the LP table. Got them when he was 6-8 months old. My son is 25 months old and still plays with both. He plays with the house everyday. If you have to pick, go for the house.

• jenn says:

We had both tables & the L&L house. By far the leapfrog table won out for months & months & months with the other 2 getting played with once in a while.

• maygan says:

We have the FP house and the table, both my 3.5 year old and 20mo old still play with these toys daily- but the house gets the most use (and it’s the first thing other kids go for when they come over for playdates)

2. Jenni says:

@Layla, our Learning Home kept our son entertained for longer than the his Leapfrog Table. He loved them both, but became disinterested in the table around 13 months (peak age of interest in the table was between 7 and 12 months when he was pulling up/cruising but not walking yet). He still plays with his Learning Home, is now almost 17-months.

3. kelly says:

This is a great idea, asking about this! My son is asking for Chuck the talking truck, and reviewing the post responses it seems no one really likes the toy. Thanks again!

4. Julie says:

@Layla — we love the laugh and learn home. definately worth it! all age kids play with it when they come to our house. my daughter has had it over a year and still plays with it daily. the table was great when she was just standing and learning to walk, but it doesn’t get much use anymore. i found the best deal on the L&L home the day BEFORE thanksgiving at TRU.

5. Margaret says:

Thank you for putting these lists together!

6. Windy St. George says:

My kids are still playing with Scout/Violet. Scout has been re-named Spike, should I rename Violet to Drewcillia?

7. Laurie says:

My son was 7 months old last Christmas when he got his LeapFrog Scout. He is almost 18 months old and STILL LOVES it!! It’s a great toy! In fact, I am planning to buy my niece one for Christmas this year (8 months old). Definitely put this item on your Christmas list!!!