6 Play Kitchens for Small Homes

Play kitchens are perennially on BC’s Toys Kids Play With lists, but boy can they eat up valuable real estate in your home. KidKraft’s Large Kitchen, for example, comes in at 42 inches wide. If you’re considering picking up a play kitchen, but are short on space, check out this list of play kitchens for small homes.

First, grab a measuring tape and take a look around to see how much space you do have. Then check your measurements against those of the kitchens in the list below to see what will work!

You DIY types can also find inspiration galore at my DIY Kitchen Pinterest board. Lots of the kitchens there are made from night stands, which don’t take up much room.

Comments

1. Dee says:

If you have an IKEA near you, this one is fantastic!

2. April says:

Love the list! What about the Ikea DUKTIG Mini-kitchen? http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70129801/

Width: 28 3/8 ”
    Depth: 15 3/4 “

• Angie says:

That one was on the list originally, but I found so many that were smaller (and in most cases cheaper) that I took it off. It’s a good one, though, and it looks like you could paint it up however you like.

3. Liz in Texas says:

We bought the Melissa and Doug corner kitchen, and my then 2.5 year old twins went bananas! Almost a year later, they still love it.

4. Joanna says:

We have the Just Like Home Modern Kitchen from Toys R Us. Love it! It’s small enough to fit inside our actual kitchen, so our kids can “cook” while we are. And it’s pleasing to the eye and only $65.

5. Jennifer says:

The Ikea kitchen is also wood. I didn’t want a plastic kitchen in my living room.

6. Stevie Bishop says:

I am thinking of buying one of these for my son; I would prefer to purchase a product made in the USA, but can’t seem to find that information on the Amazon page. Do you have any suggestions for where I can find it, or am I just missing it on the Amazon page?

7. Kristy says:

Thank you so much for this post and everyone’s feedback. We are looking for a small one and all of this info helps a lot!

8. Maura says:

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed for our small house! The day I read this post, I happened to see the M&D kitchen at a local close out store for $39.95. Knowing it had your stamp of approval, I snapped up the great bargain. (if anyone reading this is in Cleveland, I found the kitchen at Marc’s in Mentor.)

9. Stephanie says:

I just want to note that the Little Tikes Super Chef Kitchen isn’t as high of quality as many other Little Tikes products. It’s still a fine toy, but it’s a little less durable and stable than the products I’ve come to expect from them. The edges of the doors are a bit rougher than the usual rounded, finger pinch-proof edges than you’d normally see from them as well. Again, the toy is fine, and appears to be safe.. .just don’t expect their normal quality from this product.