With Christmas just days away retailers are itching to close out the holiday shopping season and move into “spring preview” mode. Believe it or not, those of us in warmer climates can look forward to seeing swimsuits show up at Target during January. Brrr!
To make room for new items, stores need to clear out the cold-weather merch. In fact, several winter clearance sales start this week, making the days just after Christmas a fabulous time to stock up on kids’ cold weather wear for next winter. Read on! I’ve got the who, what, when and where to help you make the most of winter clearance.
The following sales are already on:
- The Children’s Place has up to 65% off holiday clearance right now. The Monster Sale should begin any day. Last year it started on 12/22 and went to “extra 30% off” on 12/28. Discounts should go to 50% off shortly after January 15.
- Crazy8.com has 25% off everything until Wednesday. They’re not calling it a clearance sale, but we know it is.
- Gymboree.com‘s clearance sale is already on, with 25% off all regularly priced items.
- Hanna Andersson‘s Twice Yearly Sale just started.
- BabyLegs.com just kicked off their clearance sale. Save75% when you spend $75 or more with code JOLLY75 through 12/28.
- 77Kids.com is taking an extra 30% off clearance for savings of up to 70%. Free shipping right now, too.
- Swaddlebees.com‘s clearance sale is on. Don’t be surprised if they offer a coupon in the next few days for even more savings. That’s what they did last year.
Last year’s sales:
Sales are pretty predictable. Most retailers repeat the sale they have every year with a few tweaks. Here’s what we saw last year:
Note: some winter clearance sales are already on, but stores aren’t publicizing them much right now. Check to see if that’s true for your favorite store.
- Expect the best deals on kids’ winterwear just after the holidays and continuing through March. This is a great time to stock up for the following season. Several big post-holiday sales actually started before Christmas last year.
- OldNavy.com: Sale usually begins the day after Christmas. Look for 50% off winter items. Should go to 75% off the second week of January and up to 90% off by the end of January.
- Gap.com‘s clearance sale runs at roughly the same time as Old Navy’s. Look for items up to 60% off during their Holiday Sale, going on now.
- Macys.com has a store-wide clearance sale the first week of January.
- DisneyStore.com‘s Twice Yearly Sale started during the last week of December last year with up to 70% off.
- Osh Kosh and Carters start their online winter clearance sales shortly after the first of the year. Sales will run at least through mid month.
- Kohls.com had marked their winter clearance stuff 60% to 80% off by mid January.
- Nordstrom had hot clearance deals on clothes and shoes during their Winter Savings Event in week two.
- Amazon usually runs a shoe clearance sale in early January with lots of great deals on kids’ shoes.
- Shoes.com released both an extra 20% off clearance and extra 25% off clearance coupon last year in January (in that order). Right now Shoes.com has 20% off site wide with code HOLIDAY20 (ends 12/21).
- ShoeSteal.com usually takes up to 75% off kids’ shoes during the third week of January. They’ll probably offer a coupon code to go along with it.
- Pediped.com‘s Purchase for a Purpose sale usually starts at the end of week 1. Save up to 50%.
- Robeez.com has run a sale with up to 50% off during the second week of January for the past two years.
- See Kai Run had a 50% off boot sale during week one last year.
- Fuzzibunz.com‘s cloth diaper clearance sale started in mid January last year.
- Target‘s end-of-season baby clearance started 12/31 last year.
- BabiesRUs.com had a “Free for All” clearance sale at the start of January. Deals included $20 off any car seat $99.99 or more, and $20 off any stroller or travel system $99.99 or more.
- Expect LeapFrog.com to offer a high-value coupon code and/or free shipping deal shortly after Christmas.
- Target‘s clearance toys were 75% off by 1/10 last year.
Photo Prints, Books and Gifts
- On 1/6 last year, I posted that Snapfish.com had released a coupon code for 40% off winter clearance. The code was good through 1/16. Snapfish also ran a 50 prints for 50 pennies sale at this time.
- Don’t see your favorite store on the list above? Try Googling “winter clearance” plus your favorite store to pull up posts about last years sales. Check the dates in the posts to see when you can expect the sale to start.
- Before the sales start, make a list of items you’re interested in purchasing. Take a look around at stores and become familiar with items you’re interested in buying. You might even bookmark the items. I like to buy all my son’s winter clothing for next year between now and March, including next year’s winter coat, fleece sweaters, hats and gloves, winter pjs, and jeans. I try to buy when they’re 40% off or more.
- Before you buy, be sure to Google the name of the store plus “coupon” to see what’s out there in the way of discounts and free shipping codes.
- Remember that winter clearance sales happen at kiddie consignment stores, too. Call your local stores to see when theirs are.
- Keep track of what you buy. I box up my winter clearance bargains, label the outside of the box with what’s in there, and pop the box in the top of my son’s closet. As fall approaches, I’ll take it down and go through it to remind myself of what I have before I buy anything else.
What are your best winter clothing clearance shopping tips?
This post may contain affiliate links. See BC's disclosure policy for more info.