Welcome to the 2012 updates of Baby Cheapskate’s “Toys That Get Played With” lists. The toys on this list are here for one reason and one reason alone – because kids love them and continue to play with them long after the holiday decor is boxed up.
There’s no one toy that every kid likes, but the toys on the list have proven track records among Baby Cheapskate readers when it comes to appeal and longevity. Each toy is linked to its listing on Amazon so that you can learn more about it.
Most Loved Toys for Kids 4 to 5 Years Old
- Art Supplies, especially drawing and painting
- Magna tiles
- Easel (Melissa and Doug, Step2, etc.)
- Kid’s Camera (Vtech, Fisher Price, etc.)
- Imaginext Play Sets and Playmobil Sets
- Trucks and Cars of any kind (Tonka, Hot Wheels and Matchbox, etc.)
- Electronic Learning Systems: Tag Reader, Innotab, LeapPad 2, Leapster GS Explorer or Vtech MobiGo 2
- Play sets: My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, Polly Pocket, Zoobles, Lalaloopsy
- Simple Board Games (Zingo, Don’t Break the Ice, Trouble, etc.)
- GeoTrax Sets
- Dress Up Clothes, Costumes
- Floor Jigsaw Puzzles
- Plasma Car, Strider Bike, Bike (w/ training wheels), scooter, other riding toys
- Transformers (pay attention to difficulty level–they vary)
- Dollhouse: FP Loving Family Grand Doll House, Barbie Dream Townhouse, etc.
- Toys That Get Played With 2013: 7 to 8 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2013: 6 to 7 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2013: 5 to 6 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2012: 3 to 4 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2012: 25 to 36 Months
- Toys That Get Played With 2012: 13 to 24 months
- Toys That Get Played With 2012: 6 to 12 months
- Baby Cheapskate’s Top Toys Week: What Makes a Good Toy?
This post may contain affiliate links. See BC's disclosure policy for more info.