Play kitchens are on our all star toys list. They’re hits for both girls and boys from about age two to age five. With all the models out there, how can you pick the best play kitchen for your home?
This guide will help. It’s even got buy-it-now prices so you know when you’re getting a great deal. Enjoy!
- Consider your space carefully. How much room do you have? Would a corner kitchen work better than a straight one? Take time to measure your available width and depth before your shop.
- Consider your budget before you buy so that you won’t be tempted to spend more than you should. Kitchens list from about $60 to $300 and up.
- Consider checking your favorite second-hand sources for a gently used kitchen.
- Does then kitchen need to allow room for more than one kid to play at once? A larger kitchen or a kitchen with two-sided play can help avoid squabbles.
- Do you care if the kitchen you choose requires batteries? Most of the plastic kitchens need them to power lights, bells, whistles, etc.
- Don’t be afraid to get a “simple” kitchen. Kids are creative and will fill in for the missing bells and whistles with their imaginations. Electronic bells and whistles can get annoying for grownups, too.
- Allow plenty of time for assembly. The wooden kitchens generally take longer to put together than the plastic kitchens.
- Does the kitchen offer room for play food and utensil storage? If not, think about how you’ll corral those small pieces.
- Be prepared to secure the kitchen to the wall if you think there’s any possibility of tipping.
Popular Kitchens and Buy-It-Now Prices
All of these kitchens are top sellers with great ratings. I’ve linked to these kitchens at Amazon so that you can learn more and read customer reviews. Unless otherwise noted, the appropriate age for these kitchens is 3 and up.
“Buy It Now” prices are what I consider “very good” prices on the item. They’re the best sale prices you can expect to find fairly regularly, based on records of previous sales. Don’t confuse these with the “lowest price ever” price. You may be able to beat this price if you happen onto a unusually great sale.
Note that the buy-it-now prices may be up to 45% of the list prices. Expect to see lots of deals on play kitchens in the weeks starting after Halloween.
See the kitchens after the jump.
- Step2 Grand Walk In Kitchen: Electronic microwave, stovetop and phone. Includes 103 piece accessory set. 47 H 46 W 36.25 D. 2 and up. Requires 6 batteries. BIG. List price: $309.99. Buy-it-now price: $205.
- Step2 Lifestyle Deluxe Kitchen: 48.50H 49W 18.50D. 2 years and up. Comes with 38-piece accessory set. Made in USA. Requires 13 batteries. Electronic microwave, dishwasher, stovetop and light. The widest kitchen listed here. List price: $269.99. Buy-it-now price: $230.
- KidKraft Cook Together Kitchen. Natural wood and primary colors. 38.5″ L x 12.5″ W x 42.5″ H. List price: $267.99. Buy-it-now price: $145.
- Melissa & Doug Classic Deluxe Pretend & Play Kitchen. White and blue. 11.7 x 22.5 x 43.7. List price. $249.99. Buy-it-now price: $182.
- KidKraft Deluxe Lets Cook Kitchen. 42.25″ L x 16″ W x 43″ H. List price $202.22. Buy-it-now price: $130.
- KidKraft Large Kitchen. Pink, blue and yellow. 3 and up. 42 x 16 x 42 inches. List price: $199.99. Buy-it-now price: $130.
- KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen. Pink and white. 36″ L x 36″ W x 35.5″ H. 3 and up. List price: $199.99. Buy-it-now price: $150.
- KidKraft Uptown Espresso: No gaudy colors. 3 and up. 42.52” L x 17.12” W x 40.98” H. A bestseller. List price $184. Buy-it-now price: $130.
- KidKraft Vintage: 33″ L x 13″ W x 35.7″ H. 3 and up. Comes in red, white, blue or pink. List price: $187.99. Buy-it-now price: $125.
- Step2 Lifestyle Dream Kitchen: 29.5 x 15.8 x 36 inches. 3 and up. Requires 11 batteries. Includes 37 piece accessory set. List price: $159.99. Buy-it-now price: $130.
- Melissa & Doug Cook’s Corner Wooden Kitchen: Red, white and blue. 3 and up. 41.7 x 20 x 5.7 inches. List price: $129.99. Buy-it-now price: $82.
- Hape Gourmet Kitchen: Non-toxic, child-safe finishes. 21.6 x 12.6 x 27.8. List price: $129.99. Buy-it-now price: $80
- IKEA Duktig Kitchen: Add top section with microwave for another $20. 28 x 15 x 22. Requires 6 batteries. 3 and up. List price: $79.99. Buy-it-now price: $80.
- Step2 Lifestyle Custom Kitchen: 41.25 H 28 W 14 D. 2 and up. Incudes 21 piece accessory set. Requires 6 batteries. List price: $99.99. Buy-it-now price: $79.
- Fisher Price Dora Fiesta Favorites Kitchen. 2 and up. 26 x 10 x 20 inches. Requires 3 batteries (included). “Place a recipe card in the kitchen window to hear the ingredients you’ll need to go on a cooking adventure with Dora! You can collect additional play packs that include pretend food and recipe cards that unlock phrases in the kitchen!” List price: $104.99. Buy-it-now price: $85.
- Step2 Cozy Kitchen: 2 and up. 38 H 20W 11D inches. Includes 21 piece accessory set. List price: $69.99. Buy-it-now price: $59.
- Little Tikes Super Chef Kitchen: 3 and up. 40 H 28W 14D inches. Comes with 13 accessories. 2 AAA batteries required. Can be placed in corner or along wall. List price: $90. Buy-it-now price: $79
Too many to choose from? Here are a few picks:
- Corner Kitchen: KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen
- Eco-friendly: Hape Gourmet
- Budget Friendly Space Saver: Melissa Doug Corner Kitchen. Not as small as they come, but offers more bang per square inch.
- Mid-range: KidKraft Vintage.
- Big Daddy with all the Bells and Whistles: Step2 Grand Walk In Kitchen. The full size Step 2 Lifestyle Deluxe is another good choice.
- 6 Play Kitchens for Small Homes
- Make your own play kitchen (Board at Pinterest)
- Toy All Stars: 7 Toys Your Kids Will Play With for Years
This post may contain affiliate links. See BC's disclosure policy for more info.