With Christmas just days away retailers are itching to close out the holiday shopping season and move into “spring preview” mode. Believe it or not, those of us in warmer climates can look forward to seeing swimsuits show up at Target during January. Brrr!
To make room for new items, stores need to clear out the cold-weather merch. In fact, several winter clearance sales start this week, making the days just after Christmas a fabulous time to stock up on kids’ cold weather wear for next winter. Read on! I’ve got the who, what, when and where to help you make the most of winter clearance.
These sales are already on:
- Gymboree.com‘s clearance sale is already on, with 50% off all regularly priced items.
- Save up to 50% at MiniBoden.com
- “Ginormous clearance sale” at Osh Kosh with prices starting at $4.99. Extra 20% off clearance.
- Up to 70% off baby items at Carters.com during their year-end baby sale.
- BabyLegs.com just kicked off their clearance sale. Save 75% when you spend $75 or more with code WINTER75OFF through 12/31.
- Save 20% to 50% on baby clothes and shoes at Diapers.com.
- Walmart’s Winter Clearance Sale is already on, too.
- Zappos, which hardly ever runs a sale, is running a clearance one now. Save on shoes, clothing and more.
Last year’s sales
Sales are pretty predictable. Most retailers repeat the sale they have every year with a few tweaks. Here’s what we saw last year:
Note: some winter clearance sales are already on, but stores aren’t publicizing them much right now. Check to see if that’s true for your favorite store.
Coats and Outerwear
- Expect the best deals on kids’ winterwear just after the holidays and continuing through March. This is a great time to stock up for the following season. Several big post-holiday sales actually started before Christmas last year.
- Save up to 60% during Stride Rite‘s clearance sale, which started before Christmas last year.
- Robeez.com took 50% off “giftable styles” at the same time. Robeez has also been known to run a sale with up to 50% off during the second week of January.
- Keep an eye on Amazon’s shoe department. Last year they ran a clearance sale with up to 60% off Pediped, Robeez, Primigi, See Kai Run, Stride Rite and more. Right now they have 20% off purchases of $100 (select styles).
- Shoes.com released both an extra 20% off clearance and extra 25% off clearance coupon last year in January (in that order). Right now Shoes.com has 20% off site wide with code HOLIDAY20 (ends today).
- ShoeSteal.com usually takes up to 75% off kids’ shoes during the third week of January. They’ll probably offer a coupon code to go along with it.
- Pediped.com‘s Purchase for a Purpose sale usually starts at the end of week 1. Save up to 50%.
- See Kai Run had a 50% off boot sale during week one last year.
- Up to 80% at The Children’s Place during their Monster Sale (priced as marked). Save an extra 20% with code.
- Up to 50% off online at OldNavy.com (priced as marked). Up to 75% off in stores.
- An extra 20% off sale items at Gap.com with coupon code. Gap has up to 50% off in stores right now and an extra 40% off all sale styles (show this to cashier).
- Everything at Crazy8.com was $11.99 and under. In stores, too.
- Up to 70% at the Hanna Andersson Twice a Year sale.
- Up to 70% off at 77kids.com when you take an extra 30% off clearance (priced as marked).
- 40% off already reduced girls’ clothing at Justice with code for a total of up to 75% off.
- Up to 60% during LLBean‘s Winter Clearance sale. Free shipping.
- Store-wide clearance sale at Macys.com.
- Nordstrom had hot clearance deals on clothes and shoes during their Winter Savings Event in week two.
- Kohls.com had marked their winter clearance stuff 60% to 80% off by mid January.
- DisneyStore.com‘s Twice Yearly Sale started during the last week of December last year with up to 70% off.
- Target generally runs a winter clearance sale on kids’ clothes during week three.
- Babies R Us usually has 50% off clearance clothing in stores for a couple of days right after Christmas.
- Don’t see your favorite store on the list above? Try Googling “winter clearance” plus your favorite store to pull up posts about last years sales. Check the dates in the posts to see when you can expect the sale to start.
- Before the sales start, make a list of items you’re interested in purchasing. Take a look around at stores and become familiar with items you’re interested in buying. You might even bookmark the items. I like to buy all my son’s winter clothing for next year between now and March, including next year’s winter coat, fleece sweaters, hats and gloves, winter pjs, and jeans. I try to buy when they’re 40% off or more.
- Before you buy, be sure to Google the name of the store plus “coupon” to see what’s out there in the way of discounts and free shipping codes.
- Remember that winter clearance sales happen at kiddie consignment stores, too. Call your local stores to see when theirs are.
- Keep track of what you buy. I box up my winter clearance bargains, label the outside of the box with what’s in there, and pop the box in the top of my son’s closet. As fall approaches, I’ll take it down and go through it to remind myself of what I have before I buy anything else.
Looking forward to any others? Know of any sales or tips I missed? Let us know in the comments!
Count on Baby Cheapskate to keep you posted as winter clearance sales go live.