Welcome to part two of BC’s Registry 101 series. In the first part, we discussed baby “needs” that you should put on your registry and how registries can be a real savings tool.
Now let’s talk about baby “extras” that will come in awfully handy during the first month’s of your baby’s life. They’re also great additions to your registry.
10 Popular Baby “Extras” worth Registering For
• Baby Carrier – ERGObaby and Beco are popular choices.
• Stroller – consider your lifestyle when choosing yours.
• Portable Play Yard – can act as a mobile nursery early on. Do pay attention to weight limits, though.
• Bouncer – baby bouncers can entertain and soothe your baby. They can also be a convenient place to set your baby down for a second.
• Swing – some babies don’t like swings, but for us, the swing was invaluable in helping our newborn sleep. Register for a portable model if you’re short on space or plan on taking it with you anywhere. Plug-in models (generally full-sized swings) can save you big on batteries.
• Diaper Bag – you could use your old college backpack to haul around your baby stuff, but who would want to when there are so many cute choices out there (and lots for under $50)?
• Diaper Pail – this one’s entirely skippable (dirty diapers smell no matter where you put them), but many parents find it convenient to have one in the nursery.
• Baby Monitor – sound monitors are cheaper, but video monitors can offer a little extra peace of mind.
• Nursing Cover – again, a swaddling blanket will do the job if you feel you need privacy while nursing. Nursing covers can be easier to keep in place, though.
• Swaddling blankets or swaddling gowns – many young babies feel secure when they’re swaddled. And since you’re not supposed to have blankets in the crib, swaddling gowns can offer the coziness they need
You may think of these as must-haves (and stores’ baby registry guides certainly call them that), but as you’ll read in my book, The Baby Cheapskate Guide To Bargains, they’re really extras. Let’s face it, you can live without them. There’s no denying, though, that the items on this list can make life easier.
And just a reminder–have you entered Amazon’s baby registry sweepstakes yet?
If you create a registry at Amazon and add ten items, you’ll be entered to win a $500 Amazon gift card in the Amazon Baby Registry Sweepstakes. One winner will be chosen each week.