Welcome to the 2016 updates of Baby Cheapskate’s “Toys That Get Played With” lists. The toys on this list are here for one reason and one reason alone – because kids love them and continue to play with them long after the holiday decor is boxed up.
There’s no one toy that every kid likes, but the toys on the list have proven track records. Hundreds of Baby Cheapskate readers have responded to polls posted thrice yearly over the course of six years about which holiday toys their kids are still playing with. I’ve pored through the responses to compile this list. Each toy is linked to its listing on Amazon so that you can learn more about it.
Most Loved Toys for Toddlers 24 months to 36 months:
- Duplo, Mega Bloks, other building sets
- Bristle Blocks
- Mini trampoline (Galt, or Little Tikes, for example)
- Cardboard playhouse
- Tegu blocks
- Trains / Train Table
- Cars and Trucks (Green Toys Recycling Truck, etc.)
- Musical Instruments (Melissa and Doug Band in a Box, for example)
- Play Kitchen and play food
- Little People Sets: Animal Friends Farm, Surprise & Sounds Home, and Big Animal Zoo are popular ones.
- VTech Smart Wheels sets
- Fisher-Price Grow to Pro Junior Basketball
- Art Supplies (crayons, Play Doh, etc.)
- Sticker books
- Dollhouse (FP My First Dollhouse, etc.)
- Doll (Bitty Baby, Corolle, Disney Princess Toddler Doll, etc.)
- Doll Stroller (doll crib, doll high chair and other accessories are popular, too)
- Toy Shopping Carts (Melissa and Doug, Little Tikes, etc.)
- Toy Vacuum and other “cleaning” toys
- Toy Lawnmower
- “Market” or grocery store toys.
- Simple Jigsaw Puzzles, other puzzles (Melissa and Doug, etc.)
- Tricycle or Walking Bike: Strider, Radio Flyer, YBike, others
- Little Tikes Cozy Coupe
- Power Wheels Lil Quad
Note: Parents mentioned Magformers/Magnatiles for this age group, but they’re technically rated for ages three and up.
Tip: To save, try to find these second-hand via Craigslist, garage sales, thrift stores, etc. Inspect them carefully and check for recalls.
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 7 to 8 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 6 to 7 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 5 to 6 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 4 to 5 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 3 to 4 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 24 to 36 Months
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 13 to 24 months
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 6 to 12 Months
- Updated! 50+ Fab Stocking Stuffer Ideas for Kids [That Aren’t Candy]
- Toys: How to Tell the Winners from the Duds [Infographic]
This post may contain affiliate links. See BC's disclosure policy for more info.