Welcome to the 2016 updates of Baby Cheapskate’s “Toys That Get Played With” lists. The toys on this list are here for one reason and one reason alone – because kids love them and continue to play with them long after the holiday decor is boxed up.
There’s no one toy that every kid likes, but the toys on the list have proven track records among Baby Cheapskate readers when it comes to appeal and longevity. Each toy is linked to its listing on Amazon so that you can learn more about it.
Most Loved Toys for Kids 4 to 5 Years Old
- Art Supplies, especially drawing and painting. Play Doh, too!
- Magnetic building sets: Magformers, Magna Tiles, Tegu, etc.
- Easel (Melissa and Doug, Step2, IKEA, etc.)
- Kid’s Camera or Videocamera (Vtech Kidizoom Duo, Kidizoom Action Cam, etc.)
- Imaginext Play Sets and Playmobil Sets
- Doctors / Veterinary Sets
- Playskool Heroes (Transformers, Star Wars, Superheroes), Paw Patrol and other action figures/superhero toys.
- Trucks and Cars of any kind (Tonka, Hot Wheels, Matchbox, etc.)
- Kids’ Tablet: Kindle Fire Kids Edition and others
- Play sets: My Little Pony, Flipsies, Littlest Pet Shop, Polly Pocket, Lalaloopsy, Calico Crittters, Lil’ Woodzees
- Simple Board Games (Zingo, Don’t Break the Ice, Trouble, etc.)
- “Retro” building toys like Lincoln Logs or Tinker Toys
- Dress Up Clothes, Costumes
- Play Kitchen and play food
- Floor Jigsaw Puzzles
- Plasma Car, Strider Bike or other running/walking bike, Bike (w/ training wheels), scooter, other riding toys
- Dollhouse: FP Loving Family Doll House, Barbie Dreamhouse, KidKraft, etc.
- Castle Sets: Melissa and Doug Folding Medieval Castle, for example.
- Dolls: Bitty Baby, Disney Princess, etc.
- Disney Princess Magiclip dolls
- Trains / Train Table
- Mini trampoline (Galt, for example)
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 7 to 8 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 6 to 7 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 5 to 6 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 4 to 5 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 3 to 4 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 24 to 36 Months
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 13 to 24 months
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 6 to 12 Months
- Updated! 50+ Fab Stocking Stuffer Ideas for Kids [That Aren’t Candy]
- Toys: How to Tell the Winners from the Duds [Infographic]
This post may contain affiliate links. See BC's disclosure policy for more info.