Welcome to the 2016 updates of Baby Cheapskate’s “Toys That Get Played With” lists. The toys on this list are here for one reason and one reason alone – because kids love them and continue to play with them long after the holiday decor is boxed up.
There’s no one toy that every kid likes, but the toys on the list have proven track records among Baby Cheapskate readers when it comes to appeal and longevity. Each toy is linked to its listing on Amazon so that you can learn more about it.
Most Loved Toys for Kids 7 to 8 Years Old
- Art Supplies and craft kits are HUGE at this age. Origami, Spirograph, weaving looms, Spin Art, Qixels and Rainbow Loom are good choices for “artsy” kids.
- Lego, K’Nex, Zoob, and other building toys
- Magnetic building sets: Magformers, Magna Tiles, Tegu, etc.
- Puzzle books and books of word games. Mindware makes some great ones. Check out Extreme Dot-to-Dot and Color Counts!
- Kids’ Tablet: Kindle Fire Kids Edition, for example
- Nerf guns
- Keyboard and other musical instruments
- Schleich animals, Breyer horses and other toy animals.
- Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars
- R/C Vehicles: cars, quadcopters (watch age limit), etc.
- Dolls: American Girl Doll, Barbie and Barbie accessories, Monster High Dolls, Ever After High Dolls, etc.
- Tranformers, Bakugan, other similar figures
- Pokemon toys and cards
- Play sets: My Little Pony, Flipsies, Littlest Pet Shop, Polly Pocket, Lalaloopsy, Calico Crittters, Lil’ Woodzees, Shopkins, Paw Patrol, etc (esp. earlier end of this age group)
- Bike, Plasma Car, Razor Scooter, etc.
- Board Games
- Perplexus, Rubiks Cube and other brain teaser toys
- Jigsaw puzzles (100 to 300 pc)
- Snap Circuits, Roominate, GoldieBlox, other science kits and STEM toys
- Marble Run
- Stomp Rocket
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 7 to 8 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 6 to 7 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 5 to 6 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 4 to 5 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 3 to 4 Years
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 24 to 36 Months
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 13 to 24 months
- Toys That Get Played With 2016: 6 to 12 Months
- Updated! 50+ Fab Stocking Stuffer Ideas for Kids [That Aren’t Candy]
- Toys: How to Tell the Winners from the Duds [Infographic]
This post may contain affiliate links. See BC's disclosure policy for more info.