August brings a wrap-up of summer clearance sales, a crop of fall clothing sales and the kick off of those wonderful fall consignment sales. Here’s what I expect to see this month, based on sales we saw in previous years.
- Shop tax-free. Most states’ tax holidays are the first or second weekend of the month, just in time for back-to-school shopping. Here’s a state-by-state list of sales tax holidays. Check your local newspaper for more local details. Diapers may be tax free in your state–that’s a discount of 5% to 10% depending on where you live!
- Deals abound on kids shoes in August. For example, Stride Rite‘s BOGO 50% off sale started around August 1 last year. Shoes.com typically has one of their biggest clearance events of the year during early to mid August and issues a code for an extra 25% off sale prices. During week three last year, 6pm.com had 60% to 80% off kids’ sandals.
- Mid-month brought price cuts on Lands End lunch boxes and backpacks to the tune of over 50% off. We’ll also see fab deals on school uniforms around this time.
- Gap had a deal for an extra 50% off sale styles around the 15th last year, too. Also, watch for Gap.com‘s Friends and Family coupon during week two. It’s usually worth 30% off. Old Navy and Gap.com ran a 25% off coupon in week 2 last year. Look for another 25% to 30% off coupon from both Gap and Old Navy in week three.
- Amazon Prime members enjoyed a coupon code for an extra 20% off hundreds of toys in mid August last year. The deal lasted for about a week.
- Watch for a free cards deal from Shutterfly around the middle of the month.
- Just after the 20th or so, watch for big discounts at Disney Store. Last year we saw a coupon for 40% off hundreds of items.
- Look for Labor Day deals, sales and coupons to start up during the final week of the month. Watch for early sales at Gymboree, Gap, Old Navy, and other retailers. I’ll be publishing a big roundup of the best of the bunch near the end of the month.
Deals on second hand items:
- Consignment stores start accepting fall clothing at the beginning of August. Time to cash in with last years’ winter clothes. Read about it here.
- You’ll start seeing fall consignment sales this month, too. Check for sales in your area at The Bargain Watcher.com, Consignment Mommies or KidsConsignmentSales.com. Shopping consignment sales is a GREAT way to save money on baby items. It’s also a fun thing to do when you’re pregnant (not as fun with baby in tow). Many larger sales have websites. Check for special shopping hours for expectant moms and for “no strollers” shopping times.
For September: Labor Day baby sales (love those!).
Know of any August sales or deals I missed? Let us know in the comments!