Whether you’re into attachment parenting or just want to carry your baby comfortably when a stroller’s not an option, soft-structured baby carriers like those from Ergobaby, Beco, Boba, and Tula may rightly find a place at the top of your get-ready-for-baby shopping list.
Finding a deal on a soft-structured baby carrier can be tricky, however, since many of the best brands won’t let retailers offer their products for less than MSRP.
That doesn’t stop us, though. Here at Baby Cheapskate we’ve got a decade’s worth of experience hunting for deals on Ergobaby, Beco and the like. Here are BC’s best tips:
About soft-structured carriers:
- Soft structured carriers can hold toddlers up to 45 lbs. or so.
- They distribute your baby’s weight across you hips rather than your back.
- Most (but not all) can be used for front or back carry.
- Use with newborns often requires an infant insert that you’ll probably have to buy separately.
- Prices range from $75 to $150+.
Popular and highly rated soft-structured carrier brands include
Try before you buy if you can to see how each carrier fits your body and your partner’s body.
Where to look for deals:
While new patterns rarely go below MSRP due to MAP pricing, discontinued patterns often go on clearance at up to 40% off or so. In the past we’ve had good luck finding deals at these online retailers:
- Amazon: We even see them on Lightning Deal occasionally.
- Albee Baby: Iin the past we’ve seen up to 50% off discontinued styles along with great deals on Black Friday. Save 20% on full-priced Beco carriers with their site-wide discount codes. Right now the code is NEWYEAR.
- Nordstrom: Another source for deals on discontinued patterns.
- Target Watch for “gift card with purchase” deals.
- REI: Look for up to 25% during their anniversary sale in May.
- Zulily: This flash-sale site offers deals of up to 48% off Ergobaby Several times a year. Prices have gone as low as $59.99. Sign up for alerts).
Reader tip; Smaller retailers like Sweet Baby Wraps, Granola Babies and other often have flash sales and coupon codes. Follow their Facebook pages and/or Twitter and Instagram accounts to find out about them.
Caveat: Be sure to buy from a reputable, authorized dealer. Counterfeits have been a problem, especially with Ergobaby.
Sources for deals on used carriers:
Second -hand carriers offer the biggest savings on soft-structured carriers.
The Frogmama site has a terrific clearance section; save up to 50% on returns, trade-ins, and gently used carriers.
Check out these B/S/T groups on Facebook to save big on a used carrier:
- Babywearing Swap Over 100K members (closed group)
- Babywearing B/S/T 15k+ members (closed group)
- Tula Carriers Buy/Sell/Trade 70k+ members (closed group)
- High End Babywearing FSOT 22K members (closed group)
- Babywearing on a Budget: 130k+ members (closed group)
Learn more about soft-structured carriers:
- A Beginner’s Guide to Baby Carriers (at Baby Cheapskate)
- Baby Gear Lab has a great comparison of carriers.
- Choosing and Comparing Carriers at The Baby Wearer (must create account)
What are your best tips for saving big on soft-structured carriers?
This post may contain affiliate links. See BC's disclosure policy for more info.