When your child outgrows other forms of forward-facing restraints, it’s time for a booster. But which ones are best?
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety just released its latest report with belt fit data on more than 100 booster seats currently on the market.
Of the seats tested, 58 were listed as “Best Bets“(meaning that they fit most kids ages 4 to 8 well in most cars) and five seats were listed as Good Bets (acceptable fit in most cars). Around 40 seats fall into a middle “Check Fit” category (they work in some cars, but not others). Two seats were not recommended–the Safety 1st All-in-One and the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite.
10 Popular “Best Bets” include seats at a wide range of price points starting at around $18:
I’m also including buy-it-now prices (the best sale prices you can expect to find fairly regularly) on these seats, and I’ve linked to Amazon below, so you can check out the seats there.
- Britax Parkway SG (highback mode) Buy-it-now price: $90
- Britax Parkway SGL (highback mode) Buy-it-now price: $115
- Evenflo Big Kid Amp (backless) Buy-it-now price: $29
- Evenflo Right Fit (highback and backless) Buy-it-now price: $66
- Graco Affix (highback and backless) Buy-it-now price: $60
- Graco Connext (backless) Buy-it-now price: $14
- Harmony V6 Highback (backless and highback) Buy-it-now price: $56
- BubbleBum (backless) Buy-it-now price: $36
- Recaro Vivo (highback) Buy-it-now price: $80
- Safety 1st BoostAPak (backless) Buy-it-now price: $69.99
- See More
Surprisingly, the new Britax Pinnacle 90, Pioneer 70 and Frontier 90 boosters are designated as Check Fit boosters–a significant slip in their ratings. The geometry of the Frontier 90′s armrest “doesn’t consistently provide the same lap belt fit as the earlier model,” says senior IIHS technician Philip Floyd.
You can see more results at the IIHS website.
- When choosing a seat, you might also check these seats against the National Institute for Highway Safety’s Ease-of-Use ratings.
- BC Post: Want Car Seat Safety Info? Check Out these 13 Sites and Facebook Pages