I can’t believe it’s nearly October already. Besides ghoulish decorations and costumed kiddies, October brings some scary good clearance buys, pre-season (you know what season I mean) deals, and Columbus Day sales.
Here’s what I expect to see this October, based on sales we saw in previous years. These sales and coupons don’t always make a return appearance, but they quite often do.
- Costume clearance should ramp up after October 1. Look for discounts of 30% off or more. We should also see some daily deal costume offerings at Groupon and the like–$10 for $20 at various online stores, etc. We’ll also see big discounts on Halloween accessories–like those cute totes from Lands End.
- Old Navy and Gap issued 30% off coupons during week one last year. More high-value coupons were sprinkled throughout the month.
- Speaking of Old Navy and Gap, look for some early outerwear deals at the end of week one. These deals were in conjunction with Columbus Day Sales at both stores.
- Snapfish ran a penny prints sale during the first week of the month last year.
- Gymboree cut prices on clearance items by an extra 50% off during the middle of week two last year. They also had a 30% off sale at the end of the month.
- And speaking of Columbus Day sales, look for them at Kohl’s, The Children’s Place, Stride Rite, Macy’s and other retailers. Expect great deals on outerwear, shoes and more. I’ll publish a big round up of the sales the week before.
- Old Navy’s birthday is shortly after Columbus Day. Look for them to celebrate with a sale.
- Look for photo book and photo gift deals around mid month from Shutterfly, Snapfish et al. Snapfish ran a 50% off sitewide sale just after mid month last year, and Shutterfly had 50% off photo books. We should see some earlybird photo card deals, too; aim for scoring holiday cards for 30 to 50% off.
- Target usually releases a bunch of Toy Coupons around the middle of the month. They’ll be good through the end of the year.
- Disney Store ran a 25% off coupon for costumes during week two last year. Shipping on costumes was free, too.
- Expect to see some “pre-season” toy sales in weeks three and four. Look for them at Toys R Us and elsewhere. These may also come in the form of one-day sales at brand websites like Fisher-Price and Mattel. Last year Mattel ran one for $10 off $25 just after mid month. Fisher-Price ran a $10 off $30 sale a few days earlier. Look for toy books from your favorite stores during the final week of the month.
- Watch for a Petunia Pickle Bottom online outlet sale near the end of the month.
- Watch for great model-year-clearance bargains to be had on everything that has a model year–car seats, high chairs, etc.
- Yard sales continue in warmer areas. Local kiddie consignment sales continue, too.
Ready or not, holiday-themed sales start November 1. Or earlier. I’ll be updating all the Toys Kids Play With lists starting tomorrow!
Know of any October sales, deals or coupons I missed? Let us know in the comments.