I can’t believe it’s nearly October already. Besides ghoulish decorations and costumed kiddies, October brings some scary good clearance buys, pre-season (you know what season I mean) deals, and Columbus Day sales.
Here’s what I expect to see this October, based on sales we saw in previous years. These sales and coupons don’t always make a return appearance, but they quite often do.
- Last year during week one Amazon ran an Amazon Mom appreciation event with an extra 30% off more than 250 toys. I hope we’ll see it again.
- Watch for a clearance on BabyLegs legwarmers next week.
- Costume clearance should ramp up after October 1. Look for discounts of 30% off or more. We should also see some daily deal costume offerings at Groupon and the like–$10 for $20 at various online stores, etc. We’ll also see big discounts on Halloween accessories–like those cute totes from Lands End. Target had BOGO FREE Hallween costumes on 10/5 last year.
- Keep an eye out for a Fall Outlet Sale at Petunia Picklebottom at the end of week one.
- Expect Columbus Day Sales to start up next week. Look for them at Kohl’s, The Children’s Place, Stride Rite, Macy’s and other retailers. Expect great deals on outerwear, shoes and more. I’ll publish a big round up of the sales starting mid next week.
- Snapfish is known to offer penny prints in early October.
- Old Navy’s birthday is shortly after Columbus Day. Look for them to celebrate with a sale.
- Look for photo book and photo gift deals around mid month from Shutterfly, Snapfish et al. Snapfish ran a 50% off sitewide sale just after mid month last year, and Shutterfly had 50% off photo books. We should see some earlybird photo card deals, too; aim for scoring holiday cards for 30 to 50% off.
- Target usually releases a bunch of Toy Coupons around the middle of the month. They’ll be good through the end of the year.
- The middle of the month last year brought BOGO Free Little Tikes toys at ToysRUs.
- The week before Halloween will bring some nice clearance deals on Halloween themed decor and costumes.
- Expect to see some “pre-season” toy sales in weeks three and four. Look for them at Toys R Us and elsewhere. These may also come in the form of one-day sales at brand websites like Fisher-Price and Mattel. Last year Mattel ran one for $10 off $25 just after mid month. Fisher-Price ran a $10 off $30 sale a few days earlier. Look for toy books from your favorite stores during the final week of the month.
- Lands’ End ran a coupon for 31% off your order on Halloween last year.
- Watch for great model-year-clearance bargains to be had on everything that has a model year–car seats, high chairs, etc.
- Yard sales continue in warmer areas. Local kiddie consignment sales continue, too.
Ready or not, holiday-themed sales start November 1. Or earlier. I’ll be updating all the Toys Kids Play With lists later this month.
Know of any October sales, deals or coupons I missed? Let us know in the comments.
This post may contain affiliate links. See BC's disclosure policy for more info.