A year ago I asked BC readers to tell me which backpacks they preferred for their kids. Over 100 readers responded. Here are the top five brands:
- LLBean: Kids four to seven can choose from Jr. Original, Original, Original Plus, Discovery, Explorer and Rolling. Prices range from $25 to $50 or so. The Deluxe bookpack (aimed at kids ten and up) is 25% off right now. Free shipping.
- Lands End: Choose from My First Backpack (toddlers), ClassMate (small through extra large), Featherlight (small through extra large), or Wheeled (medium).
- Pottery Barn Kids: Available in Mini, Small, Large and Rolling. Non-sale prices range from around $25 to $70 with free shipping.
- Jansport: Superbreak is a popular model for kids (around $35) and comes in over 50 colors/patterns. Available at Target, Kohls, eBags.com and other retailers.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends lightweight packs with two wide, padded straps and a padded back.
- Use the weight and height charts at the websites to find the bag that will work best for your child.
- Mosts in pre-K and up will need a pack that is large enough to hold a standard sized folder. Some schools have rules against wheeled backpacks, so check before buying.
- Other extras to look for include reflective fabric and water-resistant or waterproof fabric.
- Expect to see deals on backpacks right up through Labor Day. Last year we saw PBK packs at up to 60% off around the 21st of August, and they were 40% off last week. Look for 25% to 35% off at Lands End and 25% off at Lands End.
I’ll be posting the best deals on backpacks throughout the next couple of months. Stay tuned!
Readers, what brands would YOU add to this list?