I’ve updated this popular BC post for 2014.
We’re approaching the sunniest season (yay!), and many of us will be buying sunscreen for our tots. Safer sunscreens for babies and kids can be pricey, though. Here’s a little help minimizing costs:
Prices on safer sunscreens tend not to vary too much over the course of a year. Unfortunately, some of the best prices on these products sometimes occur when few people are buying them– during the colder months. With a little luck, though, you should be able to save 20% or so off list price and even more if you’re lucky.
More Savings Tips
- Watch for vouchers on sites like Groupon, Plum District and Living Social.
- Scout for daily deals on sunscreens at sites like BabySteals and BabyHalfOff.
- Sunscreen may be an allowed FSA expense. Check the details of your plan to find out.
- Watch for site-wide sales and coupons at CVS.com, Walgreens.com and others.
- Look for “Save when you join our mailing list” offers to save up to 20% or so.
- Follow the brands’ Facebook pages for the scoop on sales and deals.
Tip: Follow their Facebook pages or sign up for emails to be notified of sales and coupons.
All of the sunscreens below appear on SafeMama’s fabulous 2013 Safer Sunscreen Cheat Sheet (look for the 2014 list to be posted in a month or so). I chose the 12 sunscreens for this list based on her reviews, on price per ounce, and on how easy they were to find online. Then I scoured the web to find the best deals currently.
To learn more about safer sunscreens and what makes them that way, do take a look at SafeMama’s list.
- Badger Active SPF 30 for Kids Currently $15.99 ( $5.51/oz) at Walgreens.com.
- Badger Baby Sunscreen, Chamomile & Calendula, SPF 30+ Currently $13.59 ($4.68/oz.) at Drugstore.com
- Badger Balm SPF 30+ Sunscreen All Season Face Stick Currently $7.23 ($12.05/oz) at The Vitamin Shoppe.
- Elemental Herbs Kids Sunscreen 33 SPF Currently $11.99 ($4/oz) at Abe’s Market.
- TruKid Sunny Days Daily SPF 30 Currently $17.49 ($3.53/oz) at Amazon.
- All Terrain KidSport Sunscreen Spray Currently $10.70 ($3.57/oz) at Amazon.
- The Honest Company – Honest Sunscreen SPF 30 Available at The Honest Company for $13.95 ($4.65/oz)
- ThinkBaby (ThinkSport) SPF 50+ Sunscreen for Kids On sale for $13.99 ($4.43/oz) at Diapers.com with coupon code.
- Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sunscreen SPF 30 Currently $15.96 ($5.32/oz) at Diapers.com.
- Babo Botanicals Clear Zinc Sports Stick Currently $11.99 ($19.98/oz) at Drugstore.com
- Dolphin Organics Mineral Sunscreen SPF 32 Currently $19.99 ($6.13/oz) at Drugstore.com
- True Natural Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Baby & Family Currently $18 ($5.29/oz) at Amazon.
Have you tried any of these? What did you think?